Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinsladeBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Census
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

Manorial History - Eggington Manor

1518 is the first appearance of this manor and in the possession of William Man. The Man family have a long association with the village, with the name of John Man listed in 1393 as a trustee in a settlement. Through the 16th and 17th century various members of the Man family held the manor, although it is not clear from documents what the relationship between successive owners was.

In 1656, a John Man, the lord of the manor died, and it was probably his son John (husband to Mary Elkin) who alienated Eggington to John Gardner in 1710. In 1722 it had become the possession of Susannah Calfe, who still held Eggington manor in 1741. Subsequently, and only for a short period, Sarah Huxley was the owner, and by 1787 ownership was with John Bond. John alienated in 1790 to Thomas Goodwin and at the beginning of the 18th century George Goodwin was the lord of the manor.